Saturday, July 28, 2012

Rye and Anise Honey Cake


The last time I was in the grocery store, I rummaged through the disorderly grocery cart that says “half off” on it.  I never know what I will find inside, which is half the fun; most of the time it contains junk food I would never buy.  But this time I found a bottle of Frontier Spice Anise for $2.00 so of course I had to get it. 

I got home and made chutney (separate post) and a kind of honey cake with it immediately.

This resembles most Jewish honey cakes only in proportions and moistness.  Generally honey cake recipes are for very sweet, white flour cakes – usually at least a cup of sugar, a cup of honey and 3 ½ cups white flour. 

(Once or twice a year I forget myself and am tempted by some bakery sweet.  About an hour after I eat it, I have a blood sugar crash that is serious enough to remind me for several months not to cook like that at home.)

Despite the use of 100% rye flour, this is not a heavy cake.

Rye and Anise  Honey Cake Ingredients and Method

Mash with a fork in a large bowl or in an electric mixer:
1 large ripe banana – at least some black spots

Mix together in a saucepan over med-low heat until melted, then add to bowl with banana:
1 c. water
¾ c. honey
1/2 stick butter (4 tbsp., salted)
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

Add to bowl:
3 ½ c. rye (light or dark, your preference, but choose a fine grind)
½ tsp. salt
2 ½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. ginger
½ tbsp. anise

Mix all above together, then add:
1 c. raisins, currants or dried cranberries
Zest of one large lemon or orange

Spray a bundt pan thoroughly with baking spray (the kind with flour in it) and put in oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Check for doneness.  May need five or ten minutes additional depending on your oven.  Definitely check it at one hour, though, because both honey and raisins burn easily.

Enjoy this with a mug of coffee or Earl Gray tea. Try not to go back for seconds and thirds.

1 comment:

  1. I posted this recipe on Twitter after the 9th of Av started (sundown) and immediately felt guilty. I'm not even supposed to be THINKING about cake, much less posting recipes for it publicly. I apologized to my husband, saying I am new at this fasting business, and he just laughed and said it was ok.

    ReplyDelete