Thursday, June 28, 2012

Processing Roosters, Greek Seasoning, Poultry Variety Meat

Processing the Last "Unnecessary" Roosters
Until today I had 3 roosters that somehow didn't get processed when all the others did in MARCH.  I had been putting it off and putting it off because I was going to school and going to work.  I had sold my processing equipment, so I knew it was going to be a real chore.  However, I knew I couldn't put it off any longer - the boys were tearing up the backs of the meeker females.  All I needed was two roosters, not five. 

Today they were 9 months and a couple weeks old.  I absolutely do not recommend procrastinating this long!  They were heavy, their skin was leathery, their feathers didn't want to pluck and one even appeared to have heart trouble, which in 15 years of raising birds, I have never seen in a heritage breed rooster before.  (He was very impressive to look at alive - glossy and huge, by far larger than the other two birds.  They were all New Hampshires, but he was almost 14 pounds - 4 pounds heavier than normal.  However, his heart was enlarged and spongy and he had as much internal fat as a Cornish Rock Cross.)

In any case, they are being cooked very slowly now, in wine, chopped onions and homemade Greek seasoning.  I assume they will be delicious.

The seasoning is:

Basil
Spearmint
Sundried tomatoes
Dried Red Bell Peppers
White Pepper
Garlic
Salt
Dried lemon zest
Rosemary

The seasoning is far better than any I have bought in a store.  The mint and basil were from  Starwest Botanicals, and I think they were of exceptional quality.  (http://www.starwest-botanicals.com.  They also have a very nice gumbo and roasted garlic pepper seasoning.) 

Organic Spices in Jars & Pouches
This picture is from their website.  No, they are not paying me anything.  I just didn't take any pictures of my chicken.  I figured since I was plugging their stuff, they wouldn't mind.

The rosemary, tomatoes and peppers were from my own garden.  I use an Excalibur dehydrator and when the materials are dried to a crisp and cooled down, run them through the Blendtec (similar to a Vitamix but cheaper) until they are pulverized. 

While the birds were cooking, I sauteed the gizzards, livers, hearts and testicles in olive oil, butter, wine, onions and Greek seasoning.  I served them with raw vegetables.  They were delicious.  Yes, testicles are good if you cook them right.  The trick for most people is to give them a good crust on the outside.

It may seem a bit ill to someone who has not owned poultry before, but I just walked down to visit the birds, looking in with satisfaction at who is left.  They all seem peaceful now.  There is a lot less crowing (roosters crow more when they are in competition with each other).  All the girls are content, not trying to rush off as far away from the others as possible to scratch and pick in the grass or peering down from the trees.  Instead, they are clustered, the remaining two roosters among them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment